I Live In A Van At The Foot Of The Mountain

I am signed up with two direct sales companies,the first is Younique, which I talked about in a previous post and the other is Kickin N the Kitchen. Kickin is a newer direct sales company that specializes in cookbooks, food and drink mixes, Rada knives, and home and outdoor decor. With Kickin N the Kitchen I have one recruit. With all this new fangled technology I'm not quite sure where she found my link to sign up with me but she did. She's a nice lady but she's overwhelmed with the billion direct sales companies she is signed up with. We don't talk about the company or work or business. We talk about the weather and the places we like to visit and the best parts of living in the states we live in. She lives South Carolina and visits the mountains. She says she would love to live there but can't afford it. This made me think back to the time I lived in the mountains in North Carolina and Virgina. Here's my story. Once upon a time... haha, just kidding. I once spent a summer living in a van in the mountains. We had an old timey band. When I wasn't playing my washboard I was using it to wash my socks in some creek we had parked by for the night. We spent a lot of time working for our meals. Day labor ended up being our thing. We broke down in Tuskegee, AL on our way from New Orleans and spent two days cutting and moving fallen pine trees for an order black lady. When I say lady I mean a true southern lady that had her hair done at the beauty shop and wore pearls. She invited us to have Sunday dinner with her of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and slaw. Our next stop was Ashville, North Carolina. We stayed there for several weeks with a friend we had met in New Orleans. We drank, smoked, played music, and just enjoyed life. The guy I was seeing had a tattoo gun so we all got tattoos. Our last night together we stayed at the friends family cabin and drank homemade wine. The next morning we all played Scrabble together, as we liked to do, had a big breakfast and headed off in different directions. The friend and his girlfriend headed to California and ended up working on a pot farm, harvesting buds. We headed north. We ended up in this little town called Dugspur in Virginia. We stayed with this old, old biker and his son. The van was still our home but we now had a place to shower and cook meals. We rolled cigarettes from old butts and played music constantly. My name being Jenny I couldn't escape the Forest Gump quotes. It took me many years to watch that movie again. We met a crazy old lady that had a huge house and lots of money who wanted us to stay with her forever. She'd get so mad when he talked about leaving. We also met a woman who had been a hooker in her younger days. She told us the best decision she ever made in life was to marry her dealer instead of her pimp because she was set for life. And she was. She had money and land and according to her, all the dope she would ever need. We eventually headed back to New Orleans. I went back to work and he went back to being a street musician. I finally got sober and got him out of my life.. It only took another year. I learned a lot that summer. It's part of who I am now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Update

Late Night Rambles

It's Called Foreshadowing For A Reason