Happy Mother's Day!
Today is my first Mother's Day! I never thought I would ever have anything in common with my own mother but every day I find myself becoming more and more understanding of the choices she made for both my brother and me. You give up a lot of things when you become a mother. Selfishness is has to be the first thing to go. I look back over my childhood and see all the things my mother sacrificed for her children. I see them now because I can see the things I would willingly give up in order for PB to be happy. I look at things from a different point of view. Maybe this means I am finally becoming a mature adult. You can't even called it a sacrifice when you see how happy you make your little one.
Today my mother will be enjoying the company of my brother and his family. His little boy, Zeke-Monster, is two and the little girl is three months old. Smalls we can her. She looks like my brother. Both his kids do. Mom is so different as a grandmother. I find myself staring at her in wonder as she plays with them. The bigger they get the more fun she has with them. The years melt off her face and I wonder how different she could of been if things would of been a little easier for her. If my father wouldn't have been the man he was or she wouldn't have experienced some of the things she did. I've always seen my mom as this tough woman that did everything for herself and hardly let down her guard now I see her a grandmother who is a kid at heart. Please don't misunderstand my views on my mom. She is the most amazing, strongest woman that has ever lived. She loves us and we are her world.
I hope to continue to be like my mother and learn from her accomplishes and mistakes. I hope PB will also have this revelation much sooner than I did. This morning I raise my cup of coffee (prepared exactly how my mom always prepared hers) to my mom and all the other mothers out there learning to be like their moms. Happy Mother's Day!
Comments
Post a Comment