Why Does Everyone Sugarcoat Motherhood?
I read a lot. I didn't read much about pregnancy, I figured my body would know what it was doing but I've read a lot about being a mom. The articles and blogs are very informational and I got a lot from them. What I didn't get from them however is some of the more negative feelings you have. What I'm about to say isn't for the faint of heart but I'll try my best to elaborate the best I can.
1. You will not recognize your body. That's a given. You might even come to hate it. You'll still look really pregnant, your belly will be really soft, and that line you got as your belly expanded will be there for quite some time. Even with breast feeding the pounds don't just melt off as some like to make you think. You have to work for it. If anything, walk. I know you don't want to but do it anyway. Even before your six week check up, unless your doctor puts you on bed rest. You don't have to push hard but the sooner you get started the sooner the weight comes off. Unless, of course, you don't ever want to wear your favorite dress or those jeans your husband finds you completely sexy in.
2. No matter how much you try "safe sleeping" won't always happen. Not only will you be exhausted and fall asleep while nursing, I breast feed and do way more than even I care to admit, you'll want to snuggle your little one. You spent nine months growing this new life why do you have to set them down if you don't feel like it? While you snuggle you'll fall asleep. I can't tell you how many times my husband has had to take PB away from me and put her to bed.
3. You'll be selfish. While your pregnant you think "our baby". After they're born that changes to "mine". You'll hate when others want you to share. And others will want to. They might not love her in the same way you do but they do love her as much.
4. You'll hate your husband. Hate is a strong word, I know. I don't know how else to explain it. You might want him to go away or stop touching you or stop needing you all the time. You'll wonder why he's become a child and he can't fend for himself. Why can't he find his own damn socks? You might find ways to avoid him. I was terrified to have sex again and found anything to avoid any physical displays of affection. I felt guilty that I wasn't ready and didn't want to get his hopes up.
5. You'll want to run away from home. This you'll feel while having some sort of a melt down. And you will have a melt down. Several. You know you'll come back but some days it would be nice to take a lunch break. The baby will be crying for what seems like forever or won't take a frigging nap. Or both. You'll be at your wit's end and just want them to shut up and go to sleep. You might even say it to them in your baby voice or you'll just cry with them and beg for mercy. You'll be lost and exhausted and pissed off and frustrated. It's ok to just walk away if you've done absolutely everything you can think of. Sometimes you both need to just cry it out. Take five minutes. Or ten. Turn the music up loud or put in your headphones. As long as she's safe, she'll be fine and you'll feel a lot better.
6. Sex will hurt. Not always but if you delivered vaginally it'll probably be, at least, a little raw.
7. You will get spit up in your mouth. Some sooner than others. There is no stopping it. And you'll be pooped on. Babies are gassy little things and poop machines.
8. You'll miss your old life. You'll think of all the things you didn't get to do before baby.
These are things no one told me in plain terms. It's hinted and pussy footed around but I want people to know the truth so they don't feel guilty. Guilt is not something a new mother should feel and you can't help feeling a certain way sometimes.
On the upside, you'll get through it all. You'll see just how much your husband means to you. You'll know you've always loved him. You'll enjoy all the milestones your little one reaches. You don't have to tell anyone about the poop or the spit up. Sex will get better. You'll find yourself and really get to know each other. The urge to run gets less and less. Or so I'm told. I'm not quite there yet. It's all one day at a time. You are a great mother and will get better with each passing day.
Comments
Post a Comment