Traditions

We've always had great traditions in our house growing up. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter have always been celebrated with great food and tons of family. My dad got a smoker one year and we started having two turkeys on our table for Thanksgiving. One my mom cooked in the oven and one Dad smoked all day. For Christmas it was a smoked turkey and a ham. There was always mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, and cranberry jelly still shaped like the ccan it came from. And pies. It wasn't a holiday without a pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. We would eat like kings and watch football. In the morning we'd watch the parade on TV and wait for everyone to show up. Having been raised in Michigan I don't ever remember not having snow in my younger years. After my dad passed the people at the table changed and my mom didn't cook as much of the dinner but it was always food, family, and football. Except Easter, of course. Easter was church. The actual holidays are different stories altogether. This story is about food and traditions. Even after I moved away from home I always went home for the holidays. Home, for me, was to my mom and brother. Last year was the first year I missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Sometimes I'd miss one but never all. I did, however, get to experience how Johnny's family did things. Chinese food on the 23rd of December to celebrate Christmas with The Dad's parents, our own little Christmas tree with his sister and a close family friend. Thanksgiving at Granny's. I learned what a white elephant Christmas is. It's quite interesting and I still can't explain what all happened. All I know is you bring one gift and you get to leave with one. It was beautiful to have so much family in one small house. This year is our first year as a married couple and new parents. Things our tight, PB is too small to enjoy too much, and we're still getting our bearings so everyone will be invading my mom's for the holidays. New traditions don't start overnight but we have years to perfect them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Update

Late Night Rambles

It's Called Foreshadowing For A Reason