Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
I really enjoy making pies and testing the waters on other baked goods and now that canning season is over I can use my mom's Kitchen Aid mixer. I love that thing and I want nothing more than to have one for my very own. Unfortunately, it's not on the list this year. Even though it's so worth it, it's just not in my price range. Oh, sigh.
Anyway, this year I wanted to make sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving as opposed to pumpkin. Or apple. Please, no more apple pie! I've done my penance for my excitement during apple season. A half bushel was a lot of frickin pies. Even the neighbors are avoiding me when the word pie comes out of my mouth.
The husband is currently threatening to eat all the pie before dinner even starts, it turned out so awesome.
Here is the link to the original recipe and below is my changes.
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
•2 cups peeled and cooked sweet potatoes
•1 1/4 cup sugar
•half stick melted butter
•1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
•2 1/2 teaspoons whiskey
•1 teaspoon vanilla
•2 eggs
•1/4 cup whipping cream
•3/4 cup whole milk
•9 inch unbaked pie crust
•3 egg whites
•pinch of colored sugar
Preheat oven to 350°
With a hand mixer or stand alone mixer combine potatoes, butter, eggs, spices, whiskey, and vanilla until well blended. Add milk and continue mixing until smooth
*I suggest making sure your potatoes are still warm. I used cold potatoes for my second pie and it looked kind of ugly. Actually, really ugly. :)
Roll out pie crust into a pie plate. Add filling. Cook until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. 35-45 minutes.
Cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.
For meringue: using a mixer, beat egg whites until peaks start to form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until sugar is dissolved and peaks are nice and glossy. Using a plastic spatula, spread on pie making sure meringue is touching crust all around. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar, I used green colored sugar. So exciting! Bake for 10-12 minutes. Or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.
I've never had sweet potato pie, but I'd like to try it.
ReplyDelete