You're Not Living If You're Not Learning

I gave birth to my first child on September 11, 3013. She was born at 7:41am after four days in hospital being induced. I never liked children. Didn't want any. Ever. She's the most precious thing I've ever seen. Not wanting children I really had no knowledge of them at all. I knew they cried and pooped and slept. I knew they used diapers and smelled bad. I didn't hold babies. Or coo at them. I only started having a real interest in my nephew after getting pregnant and needing a crash course in babies. Don't get me wrong, Christmas shopping was a blast and I've had a rewards card for the toy store much longer than I've even been in a stable relationship. Back to becoming a mom. After a reasonably easy pregnancy, according to all the books I skimmed through, and the most annoying four days of my life, we get handed this tiny bundle of human with bright orange hair. They let us hold her and snuggle her. Then a few days later they actually let us take her home. These people were insane! But we put on our big people pants, had lunch at our diner, then carried our bundle of tiny into our home. We've made mistakes. It broke my heart to see an angry, red, raw diaper rash on such I tiny butt. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. And trimming her nails, I wish they had baby groomers you could pay to do that so I don't knick her fingers. I've learned to pay attention putting a diaper on so I don't have a huge mess to clean up. So many firsts and she's only seven weeks old. First bath, grocery shopping trip, letting others take her so I can compose myself. I'm also learning that, in the words of my mother, "you always spoil your first. I did with you". Most of all, I'm learning humility.

Comments

  1. Such a beautiful expression. Having a child shows you a part of your heart that you never knew existed and as far as I can tell it doesn't change with age :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Update

Late Night Rambles

It's Called Foreshadowing For A Reason